About the Listserv
The purpose of the Friends of Five Points Listserv is to provide an easy way for subscribers to exchange information about matters of common interest in the Five Points community of Athens, Georgia.
Subscribe to FOFP Listserv by following one of the two options below. To prevent others from subscribing you without your permission, you will be sent an e-mail message asking you to verify your subscription.
You can join in 2 different ways:
- Visit this Web page: http://lists.friendsoffivepoints.org/mailman/listinfo/fofp or
- Send an e-mail message to email@example.com.
Who may subscribe to this listserv?
Anyone can currently subscribe to this listserv. You do not need to be an FOFP member to become a listserv subscriber. Our aim is to be inclusive; however, we reserve the right to remove any subscriber from the listserve for any reason.
Send a message to the list
To post a message to the listserv, send an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org with your comment, question, or concern. Please remember that, unless there is a technical problem with your posting, your e-mail will immediately be sent to over 730 subscribers.
View listserv archives
Member options login page
To unsubscribe from FOFP listserv, get a password reminder, receive the listserv as a daily digest, or change your subscription options visit Member Options.
Friends of Five Points Listserv Policy
This policy statement was revised and approved by the FOFP board in March 2014.
The Friends of Five Points listserv aims to enhance the quality of residential life in and around the Five Points area of Athens through the online sharing of information about matters of common interest. Membership to the listserv is open to any person or business that wishes to support our goals.
The FOFP listserv provides an electronic forum for announcements, questions and discussion pertaining to living in the Five Points neighborhood of Athens, Georgia. Please place a descriptive subject line on all e-mails so that recipients can easily determine whether they wish to open it. Any views or opinions expressed in e-mails (and attachments) posted to the listserv are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Friends of Five Points neighborhood organization.
This is an un-moderated listserv. Listserv contributions that are posted correctly are sent immediately to members (without having to go through an approval step). The role of the listserv administrator is solely to manage subscriptions and monitor communications for violations of the code of conduct policy. The listserv administrator does not generally exercise editorial control.
By joining this e-mail listserv and communication group, you agree to follow the etiquette guidelines set by the FOFP board. You must adhere to the etiquette guidelines in order to be a listserv member in good standing.
FOFP listserv etiquette guidelines:
- Post reasonably and responsibly.
- Please respect other subscribers of the listserv. Please use this listserv only to communicate event information, news and items of interest to FOFP members.
- Be courteous and respectful.
- Please keep posts neighborly by refraining from personal attacks.
- Keep it readable.
- Please use descriptive headings in the subject line for all messages that you post to the listserv.
- When writing a message, keep it brief and state the purpose in the first paragraph.
- Respect the privacy of others.
- Posting someone’s home address or phone number or posting private or personal correspondence without their permission is not allowed.
- Keep it relevant.
- Local business owners who are members of FOFP can share occasional information about special events of interest to residents or emergency services to serve the residents of Five Points. Postings directly from commercial entities are not allowed. Occasional postings about personal services (babysitting, dog walking, etc.) from members of FOFP are welcome.
- Keep out spam.
- Posts from emails that are not registered with the FOFP listserv are reviewed and approved at the discretion of the FOFP listserv administrator. The listserv administrator typically catches spam and emails sent to multiple addresses.
The FOFP board reserves the right to suspend listserv membership for anyone who repeatedly violates one or more of these rules. The FOFP board reserves the right to modify these guidelines.
Helpful hints and common listserv issues
- Messages intended for the listserv should be posted to: email@example.com. There are other old addresses floating around, such as an old Five Points Gmail account and a the board member account. Don’t use those for your posting – they won’t work.
- Several of our listserv subscribers are having difficulties opening attachments if they receive the e-mail in digest format. We are currently (July 2015) working on a solution to this problem and will inform you when we have one.
- Make sure to post only from the address you used when you originally subscribed to the listserv. This is the most common reason the server rejects e-mails. Many of you have multiple addresses, and often you may not even realize which one you’re posting from.
- When you post to the listserve, make sure that you send your message only to fofp@friendsoffivepoints.
org. If you include the FOFP listserv address in a list of e-mail addresses, the server will reject it. It’s a spam-filter thing.
- Messages (including any attachments) can be a maximum of 10MB in size. That means you can’t send multiple large photos and other large documents. The reason for this limitation is so that you don’t crash subscribers’ systems. If you have a big attachment, you will need to reduce the file size before you send it.
- If you file a spam complaint with your Internet Service Provider (ISP), your ISP often automatically removes you from any and all listservs you’re subscribed to. The most common problem with have is with AOL users. We know that it’s tempting to file spam complaints, but before you hit that button, remember that you will have to re-subscribe yourself to listservs like FOFP.
- A lot of people can not see the e-mails they post to the list. If this is a problem for you, you’ll need to go into your own settings and fix it. At the bottom of any e-mail you receive from the listserv, click on the link to update your settings. You might need to create a password (or have the system send you your password). In the gray table, you will see a section called “Receive your own posts to the list?”. Click on Yes and save by clicking on “Submit Your Changes” at the bottom.
- There are many other settings that you can update in this same screen, such as your subscription address and the digest setting. Digest is an option you can choose if you just want to receive one digest e-mail per day rather than multiple e-mails. Please note that choosing the digest option means that you will not receive time-sensitive e-mails until the daily digest arrives, such as lost/found pet notices, last minute Bulldog tickets, etc.
- Many of you are less technically savvy. Please let us help you if you’re having any issues. If changing your subscription address, changing to digest, or other issues are beyond your ability, just let us know. We can do some of those things from our end. If you have any questions or problems, just let us know! Listserv questions should be directed to: fofp-owner@